Monday 24 August 2009

A weekend in Paris

Guess what? After three weeks at my parisien language school something increadible happened today: It was fun to learn and speak French. What is the world coming to? As you might know by now, I am stuck in Paris because my French lessons are part of the conditions I need to fulfil in order to attend the PGCE at the University of Cambridge in a few weeks time. Because the whole affair is unfortunately fairly expensive, I had to chose the cheapest course available and until now, have been bored ot death partly because of bad teachers, being out in the wrong language level, slow lessons, the heat and the fact that I have not really met one nice person to speak French with. Until today!

Finally, I am in a class where everybody is better than me (which is great because it challenges), we are talking about relevant things and I also met someone who wanted to speak French with me after class. Well, lets say rather that he started speaking French (very well) and refused to stop :-D So that gave me a bit of a boost and I am determined to use my last five days (where has the time gone?!) to actually learn something. Which just shows again how important it is to be inspired to learn in the first place. Plus I am actually using my French now.

Last weekend, my friend Steve from England also visited me and apart me from doing ballet three days in a row, we spent loads of time sightseeing and discovering. It's so much more fun to do that together! On Friday, we had dinner at the Marais and then went to the Lido (which looked very much like a show on a cruise ship!). On Satuday, we took part in an amazing bike tour with the fat tire bike company, had tea at the cite universitaire and dinner at the centre pompidou and afterwards went up the montparnasse tower which was amazing at night!


Most of Sunday, we spent at the Louvre (where you can also have amazing lunch) and then later at Montmartre. So basically, Steve got a great tour of Paris and we spent so much time outside that I now have a sunburn on my shoulders.On Saturday, I am finally going home and although I love Paris now much more than I did in the first weeks, I can't wait to get my flat together, see my friends again and finally start teaching! Hopefully, I will also find some time to travel down to Sands in the next weeks and have a look at the school!

No comments:

Post a Comment