Wednesday 5 August 2009

Paris, je ne sais pas si je t'aime

At the moment I am in Paris which is quite exciting. I have already seen a lot of the city and and until now, my favourite bits were Montmartre, from which you have an amazing view over Paris and can eat fantastic ice cream in little, green streets and the Rodin museum which is absolutely fanastic!

Other parts which I really liked were the quartre Marais
including the centre Pompidou and the hotel de Ville, in
front of which you can have lunch together with lots of tourists and even more pigeons, and the place de la Bastille.

The best thing about Paris so far however, is the Metro! It's unbelievable how many stations thereare (every 100m you can find one!) and even though you might have to change a few times, you should be at your destination within a few minutes.

The city is making every effort to get rid of the cars in the centre and if you don't like the metro there are bike rental stations everywhere. You just unlock one with your credit card and then it's one euro for every half an hour which is really not bad- plus you get a tan in the georgious weather we have!

The Parisiens themselves are quite friendly, but get
impatient very easily as soon as I start using my French. So far, I have tried ballet and Bikram Yoga and, together with a friend from my language school, also went to free open air cinema the park de la Villette.

Unfortunately, very few things are free here and I was shocked to see how expensive food is. For an ice cream you pay 3 euros and sandwiches and water are even worse. The best thing is really to stock up on food at a
supermarket and then carry it around for the day. The good news is that the Parisian tap water is very drinkable!

The only othern thing I am really not taken by is my room at the cite universitaire which looks like a prison cell and most of the other students at the language school- especially the German ones. In a week, I will return for another fortnight of lessons and hopefully by then, people are a little friendlier!

No comments:

Post a Comment