Monday 17 August 2009

Applied democartic education

Actually, I am quite angry that Cambridge forced me to come to Paris. It was one of the conditions for my place on the PGCE course (a condition that cost me around £2000) for fourweeks, and until now the lessons have only improved my French very little and am I not looking forward to going to the language school. Today it was especially bad. After having read tons of stuff on demoncratic education in the last days, I was stuck in a hot, small classroom with 14 other people who were bored and the teacher talked at us and told us about grammar rules. Ialmost fell asleep and, after hypocratically signing the register, left the class half way through to educate myself somewhere else in Paris.

With the metro, I travelled to the cinemtiere du pere lachaise- the biggest graveyard of Paris and wandered around, looking at the huge tombs and gravestones. If you now think a graveyard is
a bit of a strange tourist attraction: wrong! This is one of coolest placed in Paris and does not really resemble a graveyard, but more a huge park with memorial stones and cobble stone streets. I also stumbled upon the tombs of Georges Melies, one of my favourite cinema pioneers. The stone reads 'Createur du spectacle cinematographique, 1861-1938'. Cinematique spectacle is a great discribtion for what he did I think!

The second famous grave I saw was that of Oscar Wilde. Although I am not sure why there was a pompous sculpture, after all, Wilde was all about the subtleties, it was realy funny to see how many women had decorated the stone with lipstick kisses. Wit is sexy! :-) Walking along the paths, some leafs came down from a tree and I realised that it is almost autumn already- the summer went so quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment