Sunday 14 March 2010

Drink for thought?

'Now is the time to get drunk! To stop being the martyred slaves of time, to get absolutely drunk - on wine, poetry, or on virtue, as you please.'
~Charles Baudelaire, "Enivrez-vous," Paris Spleen, 1869

Good old Charles! But where to start? Spending most of the weekend in bed, working on Cam*Era and spending a Saturday night 22nd birthday party half asleep has made me realise how much I am actually wasting my youth. These are maybe my last months as a student and somehow I have to find a way to celebrate that a little bit more! The PGCE is rubbish for extensive shenanigans because I have to be at school at 7.45 every day, but after all that's what weekends should be there for. Staying in bed and playing Mario Kart half of the day is not really the ideal image I have of myself (bless Schopenhauer).

General boredom and the wish to escape life once more in the following weeks led me to ponder my two favourite questions: 'Who/what do you love?' and 'What makes you happy?' It turns out that after some months of inner calm and business, the answers are not as easy anymore. All I know is that my festival work is one of the answers to both questions and that teaching has fallen off the radar a little bit which was unexpected. But that also means that I now have to find a way to hang on to the event organisation stuff as much as I can.

Before I give up on education however (and I doubt that will ever seriously happen), two exciting events are still waiting for me. In four weeks time I am going up to Edinburgh to attend a seminar on democratic schooling, as mentioned in the last days. I think part of the reason why I am not so enthusiastic or rather idealistic about education anymore is because I am working in an environment where everybody is counting the days to the next holidays and dreading tests. Meeting some people again who love the concept of education and actually want to make things better for everybody might just be the spark I need. And then of course there is the AERO conference this summer- can't wait!

Finally there are going to be some adventures abroad again!

No comments:

Post a Comment