Saturday 7 November 2009

Fireworks and Summerhill

Happy Guy Fawkes week everybody! :-)

I hope you had the pleasure of experiencing some amazing fireworks in the last days! I was in Cambridge on the Midsummer common on Thursday, together with around 20.000 other people, and the display was great! Tonight, on my way back from London, I was also so lucky to come back into Royston just as they started the fireworks here and with Mendelssohn's Songs without Words in my ear, the experience was even better! I think, fireworks should always be watched with music! :-) (For all non- UK readers: Guy Fawkes Night is an annual celebration on the evening of 5 November. It marks the downfall of the Gunpowder Plot of 5 November 1605, in which a number of Catholicconspirators, including Guy Fawkes, attempted to destroy the Houses of Parliament, inLondon, United Kingdom.)

So, in London I met up with the rest of the NSFA council and we talked about our launch party, which is going to happen on the 5th/6th December in Bristol- awesome! :-) To quote from my text from the website: 'If you are a student in the UK who is searching for connections to the film industry, needs help with the foundation of a film society or a film festival or just would like to get in contact with other film- enthusiastic students all across the country, the NSFA is for you!' The NSFA has now taken over Screentest, the national student film festival, and although there is a lot to be done in the next months, I can't wait to develop the potential and meet lots of other amazing film students. As you might have read below, I am also on the verge of founding the first International Student Film Festival in Cambridge together with some friends and film provides me with a great balance to education :-)

After only four days of reading, I finished my Summerhill book today. It was super interesting to read about life at the school and really fascinating to think about self regulation and freedom in a community which is almost completely governed by children. I have the feeling that I probably would have gone to lessons as a child there and I am also not sure if being a teaching/ houseparent would be the job for me, but I would definitely like to visit the school to experience the spirit of the community that is living there. As the school has existed since 1921 and won a major battle against Ofsted in 2000, it must have a very powerful and convincing atmosphere! I feel that if I really decide to apply for the Phd and make my topic 'democratic education in Europe', Summerhill is a very good place to start some serious research. I have indulged in a little shopping spree in the AERO book store and am now expecting a bunch of books on democratic education from the States any day :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment